DEADLINE EXTENDED TO MAY 17, 2021
Dorothy T. Young, a Lincoln Park resident, died on October 30, 1994. She was eighty-six years old and moved to the borough in 1959. Mrs. Young was born in Mahonoy City, Pennsylvania and lived in Union City, New Jersey before moving to Lincoln Park. Prior to her retirement in 1967, she was the national advertising manager for The Hudson Dispatch Newspaper. As part of her last will and testament, she created a scholarship trust fund for Lincoln Park students. The pertinent part of her last will and testament reads as follows:
"FIFTH: I direct my Executor to establish an Educational Trust ... equal to the sum of $100,000.00 ... All income earned each year by this corpus after payment of Trustee fees and expenses, shall be given as a scholarship to one or more public high school seniors..." who meet the following requirements:
- The applicant must be a resident of the Borough of Lincoln Park and must have resided there since September 1st of their sophomore year in high school.
- The applicant must have completed two marking periods of their senior year at a public high school.
- The applicant must have an “A” average in a college preparatory mathematics or science class for the first two marking periods of their senior year and must maintain the “A” average throughout their senior year.
- The applicant must have applied to an accredited, four-year college or university to pursue a major in mathematics and/or science.
- The applicant must complete the attached application; provide a high school transcript through the third marking period of senior year; provide one college acceptance letter indicating pursuit of any mathematics or science field of study; and provide two (2) letters of recommendation.